Exspans Systems Inc Logo home

Forum

Author   Comment  
automan

Reply with quote  #1 
z/OS uses Systems Services such as JES, VTAM, RMF, TCPIP and many others to provide an infrastructure for the user computing environment. Most of these systems services run as
started tasks. Systems services may be provided by IBM as a part of the operating system package, but may also be provided by other vendors. In many cases systems services depend on services provided by other services and need to be started and stopped in a specific order to get the best overall response to start and stop commands. In a large operation there may be 50 or even more of these services, each needing to be started at system startup time, and shut down correctly to provide a graceful systems terminations.

Some services may need to be cycled up and down during scheduled intervals. In some instances the service cannot be shut down while users are attached. At the same time, some services are so important that if they are inadvertently shut down, they must be immediately recovered. Services can have cross systems dependencies, all of which need to be checked.

A SSID defines the qualities of a subsystem service component so that the service can be referred to as an object in GAL commands and constructs.

A SSID defines the messages, commands and logic that are to be followed to change its state, and ensure it remains in the desired state, until it needs to be changed again.

Grazillda

Reply with quote  #2 
Handling a SSID like an object makes life a lot easier for operators, and systems administrators. The 50 or so in the getting started tool kit completely covered our needs.
automan

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello Gradzilla, happy to meet you. There is now a topic to discuss it in if you wish.
Zamin

Reply with quote  #4 
I have successfully implemented all of the example SSID and CONFIGs to use them in and added a few of my own for 3rd party functions (from Computer Associates and Micro Focus). I want to implement an automated software update procedure. It does not run a started task which remains active throughout the day, but runs then ends. Is it possible for me to create a SSID that defines a task like this then when I bring it up it runs the update, then ends with updated status?
automan

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes it is. For specific details about you needs contact Support and ask. Usage advice is a part of your license. In principle what you do is create a SSID for the application and set it in the UP state as default. Then when your new software version is to be installed set it into the DOWN state and perform a CHANGE SSID UP operation. When the task has ended successfully it is in the UP state. The UP state then indicates that no action is needed for that update operation. If there is any failure in the update procedure the SSID will be in UNKNOWN state and any diagnostic or notification procedure that is defined for it will run.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!