Exspans Systems Inc Logo home

Forum

Author   Comment  
Zamin

Reply with quote  #1 
We have a huge DB2 database, with in many cases partially filled fields We are trying to design algorithms to do complex comparisons between certain behaviors and associations. Searching for client information is not difficult with what we have, and we can get information delivery with no problem. What is really time consuming is if we want to do analysis based on multiple variables. We want a way to load classes of information into storage and perform comparisons, to select candidates for further examination. I have looked at Matrix, and it performs the basic functions, but being as it is only an enabling tech, we would have to write our own selection and extraction programs. What would be ideal is if it could closely couple with DB2 and operate the selection in main storage, so that programs could just refer to table coordinates and perform direct comparison and selection. Have any of the companies that use Matrix to enable large scale tabling developed specific DB2 coupling for the purposes of performance acceleration? We do not want to go through any kind of extended development process, but are looking for a turn key solution.
automan

Reply with quote  #2 
Matrix is not intended to be an end product, but is used inside a number of 3rd party products and as the core of several end user solutions. If you do not plan to develop your own end user solution, then it would not be the right product for you. It takes time to develop your own code. I will PM you with the names and contact information for two software companies that use Matrix to provide end user solutions that may suit you.
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #3 
So how does licensing work then? If it is distributed by a software company inside their own products, does the end user even know that you are involved? If not then how can you collect licensing fee? How can you support it?
automan

Reply with quote  #4 
Grazillda, our license fees are included in the distribution companies license arrangement, so we get ours from the software company. There is no need for an end user to know that software was generated using our tools.
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #5 
Have you looked at tableBASE from DKL? I believe it is a fully developed product for in-storage table handling, and is frequently used with DB2.
automan

Reply with quote  #6 
Interesting that you should mention DataKinetics, Grazillda. A couple weeks ago we contacted them to get assistance building a SSID for that tablebase product you mentioned. We thought it would be a nice thing to have available, just in case an AutoMan user decides to get that product. As far as I can tell it is a totally unique product which uses linear datasets to share data tables.
Zamin

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for this info Grazillda. I will mention it to our management team and see if they want to take a look at it. It would be nice to have several products for comparison.
Zamin

Reply with quote  #8 
Grazillda, do you use tableBASE at your installation? automan, do you have a user who is also a tableBASE user? I would like to contact some users of it before contacting them. I don't want a sales person jumping down my throat, without my being able to get the info my management want first.
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #9 
We do not use tableBASE here, but I used to work for a major credit card company that used it. I will see if any of my old colleagues are still around and PM you with info.
Zamin

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for the info both of you. automan, I have had an interesting chat with Mr. Grutner about the products they sell in Europe. Do you have a copy of the SSID for tableBASE I could look at? Grazillda I will contact the names you sent me next week.
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #11 
Glad to help.
automan

Reply with quote  #12 
Zamin sorry to be so slow. I was in contact with the people at DataKinetics and have been waiting for a response, but it never came.
Zamin

Reply with quote  #13 
That is OK automan, we never got much of an enthusiastic response from any of the north American companies we tried to contact. The people in Arizona that Grazillda put us on to were quite lukewarm. I think we have decided to go with the German product. Herr Grutner was very surprised, because they only try to sell inside Germany and was not expecting a north American inquiry.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!