Forum

Author   Comment  
automan

Reply with quote  #1 
Ask questions and provide answers.

Ask Away.[biggrin] 
Zamin

Reply with quote  #2 
Why can I not use a local variable for the TO addresses in a GAL EMAIL statement?
automan

Reply with quote  #3 
Originally the reason for the EMAIL TO statement restriction was due to the fact that different pieces of AutoMan executed in different contexts. That is to say, the message intercept at Stage 0 occurs under the TCB of the task that issues a message, but the email itself was resolved and sent from the context of AutoMan TCB. This meant that global variables in common storage were needed. At STAGE=2 everything occurs under the TCB of AutoMan and this was not a requirement, other than for consistency.

This has changed in V3.2 R2.2. The design of the Email process was changed to be consistent with every other statement that uses variables. If this is a concern to you, contact support and ask for the latest revision. But if you do, you must replace both the LOAD and LINK libraries, because there are changes to the internal structure that passes messages. After May 2015 V3.2 R2.2 will become the standard distribution.
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #4 
I always wanted to understand the version and revision number, but it was not the kind of thing I thought I could ask the support desk. That comment above about replacing the libraries made me think about the fact that sometimes you only ship a single replacement module and at others the whole libraries. I have had updates and fixes that did not change the version or revision.
automan

Reply with quote  #5 
Grazillda, the version number increases when functions are added. When service, amendments or fixes are made, they may only affect certain modules, in which case there is no change to the revision number. However if a revision requires a change that affects the structures used between the link libraries and the load libraries, then the revision number increases. It is safe to assume that if either the version or revision number changes, you need to re-install both libraries.
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #6 
That reminded me of something I meant to ask about. We upgraded from V3.0 to V3.2 and there was an incompatibility in one of our scripts. GAL is supposed to be forward compatible, but the "STORE" command gave a syntax error. I got it sorted out with the support desk, but never really understood why the STORE and RESTORE commands have been dropped.
automan

Reply with quote  #7 
The STORE/RESTORE commands were contentious from the start and were removed in V3.1. The STORE command invoked the GAL compiler internally and wrote object code to the dataset. The RESTORE command reads a compiled image and loads it for execution. The function of compiling code is better done by the external GALComp compiler. If a piece of code, containing the STORE or RESTORE command was loaded, then the STORE command used to compile it, steps had to be taken to ignore the STORE command in the compiled code. All other load and interpretation functions are done by the LOAD command. So the RESTORE command is replaced by LOAD COMPILED. The compilation itself is now done offline with the compiler. So far everyone who has used it agrees that the current way of doing it is preferable. The fact that you missed out V3.1 is more the problem. In that version STORE/RESTORE commands were flagged and messages displayed telling you to drop them. We did send out emails to users notifying them of this change, as we do for all items where we expect that the user source or parameters will need to be changed

In general it is best to prepare as many compiled images as you need offline, then load them with either the //SYSLOAD dataset for start up, or invoke the LOAD COMPILED command when you are ready to start the packaged procedure.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!