Exspans Systems Inc Logo home

Forum

Author   Comment  
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #1 
I am a systems programmer in health care. I want to thank you for inviting me to a place where I can ask for help and support and to meet other. I have been in my current position for just over 5 years. We were already using AutoMan when I came here and the first thing I had to do was write a GAL program to make sure that an applications suite for payroll was run on time. I used an example from the Tips and Techniques manual to do it. So easy to understand. BTW that manual is one of the strangest tech manuals I have seen. It has no real order to it. I have been asked to write a program that displays a menu for operators to bring system components up and down. I am going to wait till next month, after we have upgraded to V3.2 and use configs to do it.
Zamin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Grazillda, happy to meet you, and welcome to the forum. I agree with you about that manual. It only shows basic techniques and you have to use them to develop a full program. We need some sort of code sharing thread in here.
zboxassist

Reply with quote  #3 
I am a Systems Architect (a.k.a. Systems Programmer). I work for a Health Care company that has converted to EPIC and sadly is in the process of phasing out the mainframe. Of course, that is no fault of AutoMan which is a great product with fantastic vendor support. I’ve lost count of the years (I think 9 or 10), but Exspans has made numerous enhancements, given me invaluable tips and hints.

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi zboxassist, delighted to have you on board
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #5 
Nice to meet you zboxassist. Nice handle. Does it mean you like to assist people with their z series problems? I've lost count of all the hints and tips they have given me. They have helped me have a simple to run z/OS environment. It just runs itself now.
zboxassist

Reply with quote  #6 
I've always enjoyed helping people with z/OS. When I was in high school, after delivering my paper route, my hobby was to go to the university data center and help students with their computer assignments. I got very good at tutoring students. One day the data center manager approached me and to get my attention he said "you are a dumb s***. Have you read the job posting on the bulletin board? I've watched you go from desk to desk helping people. The only difference is you would get paid to sit at the help desk and they would come to you." Back then z/OS was MFT.

Reply with quote  #7 
MFT - OS/360 MFT (Multiple Fixed Tasks) - was about 10 years before MVS.

Reply with quote  #8 
I have always enjoyed helping people too. At one time there was a special pride to be had from knowing MFT/MVT/MVS.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!