Exspans Systems Inc Logo home

Forum

Author   Comment  
automan

Reply with quote  #1 
Enhancing performance, reducing bottlenecks and reducing the machine capacity required to get the day's work done, all save money. The less machine you need, the longer the one you have will last before requiring upgrades. Cost reduction is a goal of every enterprise. It can be met buy selecting lower cost software, and by performance improvement. Often the cost of specialized performance enhancement analysis services easily pay for themselves in the long run. Automation with products like AutoMan is just one arm of a complete cost reduction strategy. It often happens that over years of use, and many hands touching it, a system will become bogged down with lots of little procedures, and threads whose utility have long been forgotten. Performance analysis and enhancement is much more than just tweaking parameters. It involves looking at all the procedures that perform work. Sometimes it can involve choosing a different data access method. I wonder how many of you remember ISAM. It had potentially horrendous performance issues as a data storage and delivery method. No matter how well it was tuned to the purpose of the database, over time it would always deteriorate in performance as seek times to data increased. In the days of real hard disks, it was not an option to keep offloading and reloading it. Eventually the only solution was to replace it with another access method.
automan

Reply with quote  #2 
There are some companies who do a splendid job of tuning for the purposes of cost reduction. One that I particularly like is Critical Path Software with their Turbo tune product. I think their name says it all.

http://www.CpsiGroup.com

http://www.TurboTune.com

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!