Exspans Systems Inc Logo home

Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 6      1   2   3   4   Next   »
rakesh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

This is in continuation the email conversation we had.

I found automan product in CBT as a freeware but it is no more valid now. Could you give me version 1 if it can be used as a freeware. I am planing to use this product for my personal education purpose but not for any commercial.

I don't need the latest version if it is not free(sorry I can't efford just for learning purpose). If you can provide me the same version in CBT but with a future expiry date I will be very thankful to you.

Thank you
automan

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi rakesh, the CBT version is very old and we lost control of it a long time ago. Service is no longer available for old code. AutoMan has many features and components and you can get some to learn with. Are you at college? What machine will you run on, and what version of the operating system will you run on? There are some parts that have dependencies.
rakesh

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi,
Yes I am at college and learning mainframes. They running z1.10 is on z9 machine.
automan

Reply with quote  #4 
rakesh, do you know which features you want? What do you want to control? What are you hoping to learn? Perhaps we can help. AutoMan can be quite large and needs to be configured for you and your needs. Also because of the size of the manual library, your attention needs to be directed at specific manuals, so that you do not waste time looking for information. What were you hoping to do with the old version that you downloaded? If you can help me with your exact needs, between us we should be able to get you what you require.
rakesh

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Automan(not sure of your name :-)

My requirement is more of capture a message id or part or string and take actions like reply to it or issue a command/start job. Nothing more than that. I knew automan can do a lot but these features will be more than sufficient to me.
We don't have any kind if automation tool in our college machine. None of my friends also saw any. So we like to deploy this in our college system as most of the time our folks cause wtors which we had check frequently and reply. If we don't see them all the inits gets full and no job runs. And many more like this. All of these will be solves with that auto reply option.

Thank you
automan

Reply with quote  #6 
rakesh, how do you start your system, to get it to the point that TSO is running? Do you want to intercept and respond to starting and ending messages for the subsystems to get them up and down efficiently? Or do you only want to intercept WTORs and respond to them?

Do you want to see full automation of your system, or do you just want a convenient way to handle messages? A college system is likely to only have a small number of subsystems and others in here will probably have a SSID for it.

The AutoMan software must be APF authorized. Are you a Systems Programmer on the system?
rakesh

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi,
We use commndxx member to start all the subsystems while IPL. We use pause to between the dependencies. So we don't have exact control of what comes first and what next. Sometimes db2 comes after cics. But that's very rare. Most of the time IPL goes smooth. Moreover we IPL very rarely. Like once in 3 to 4 months. So not much pain. For shutdown we start "s shutdown" which throughs few wtors. Once we reply system goes completely down. We mostly cancel the address spaces while shutdown. Not much worried of recovery.

In short, not much worried of IPL or shutdown. Its about maintaining on day to day.

And yes, I am one of the systems support person. Still learning though. We can add the code to APF if required.

We have very few subsystems. One cics, db2, ims and mq. That is all.

So, i will be very happy if I can get code to maintain on day to day basis. If you are kind enough to give anything additional I will be glad to install.

Thank you
Zamin

Reply with quote  #8 
We use S AUTOMAN,SUB=MSTR as the only command in commndxx so that all of the sequencing is handled by AutoMan. It makes it easier to define and modify what to bring up. But we need to be able to easily change what is running when we change focus from batch windows to online support, and we have about 50 subsystems to support.

automan

Reply with quote  #9 
From your limited use it seems that you need a Stage 2 message intercept support and nothing else. I will arrange for such a copy to be generated. All copies of the software are generated with the support a customer requests so I need the name of your school to impress in the licence. Do you have any experience writing message intercepts for AutoMan? Where did you hear about it from?
rakesh

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks a lot.

Yes my requirement is very simple. Just interpret the messages coming to syslog and issue command or wtors replies or start jobs bases on the conditions it met.

I came to know about this product from CBT. I downloaded the product then it found to be a out dated version. Then I reached out to the contact information mention in that documents.

Yes, I can write the message interprets for automan. I have documentation for version 1 I got from CBT. Please send me the latest doc if it is different from old one. I can write the syntaxes by myself.

My college name is Vivekananda Institute of Technology.

And I am interested to know about the refferal program.

Thanks again.
automan

Reply with quote  #11 
rakesh, our generation is the same process for everyone, basically the name and options are entered into a program and the software and all records about it are generated by an automated system. It will take a couple days, and I will get a copy uploaded for you. I will explain the procedure to you when you download the software. I will arrange for a parcel of manuals to be sent to you. The manual library has changed very substantially, and is quite large so I will have to tell you where to look in them.
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #12 
Version 1 must be really old. Which level of the OS is it for? I started with AutoMan way back on V2.3 and that was an OS/390 version.
rakesh

Reply with quote  #13 
Mine is zos 1.10
Grazillda

Reply with quote  #14 
The dreaded console restructure project, when they went from single byte console ids to fullword ids. When they first designed MVS they thought a handful of consoles would be enough. I got hit by the condition processor change at z/OS V1.12.
Zamin

Reply with quote  #15 
We went to Stage 0 message intercept when we were on AutoMan V2.9, during an upgrade to z/OS V1.10. I think it was due to Stage 1 message intercept was being messed up by WLM.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!